What is the Assemblies of God?
The Assemblies of God is the fastest growing Pentecostal fellowship in the world today. The Assemblies of God has over 11,000 churches in the United States and over 100 in other countries of the world. The Assemblies of God found its roots in the camp-meeting revivals of the early 20th century when the Spirit of God fell among the believers of Azuza Street. We are a Pentecostal Fellowship who believes in the fullness of the Spirit of God and the Word of God.
Our Beliefs and Convictions
In doctrine, we are a Conservative, Pentecostal, Evangelical, Protestant church. In practice, we expect to experience our doctrines by the study of the Word of God, by the coming together as believers, by the times set aside to pray to our Father, and by the active presence of the Third Person in the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, in our personal lives and in our corporate life as a body of believers.
Four defining truths of the Assemblies of God
The following beliefs are considered the core beliefs of the Assemblies of God. You may hear them referred to as our cardinal doctrines. The Church’s message revolves around these four defining beliefs.
- Divine Healing
- Baptism in the Holy Spirit
- The Second Coming of Christ
“Statement of Fundamental Truths” of the Assemblies of God
These are the tenets of faith that we adhere to. This list is derived from the official Statement of Fundamental Truths. Click links below to got to Assemblies of God National Site to see the complete original statement with scriptures.
- WE BELIEVE…The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- WE BELIEVE…There is only One True God–revealed in three persons…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- WE BELIEVE…In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God’s son Jesus was both human and divine.
- WE BELIEVE…though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- WE BELIEVE…Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through ‘Salvation’ (accepting Christ’s offer of forgiveness for sin). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one’s sins and receiving Christ’s gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord’s Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ’s suffering and death for our salvation.
- WE BELIEVE…the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE… The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- WE BELIEVE…Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christ like.
- WE BELIEVE…The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe ‘the Church’ is the Body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God’s offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
- WE BELIEVE…A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers–the Church.
- WE BELIEVE…Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ’s atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- WE BELIEVE…in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
- WE BELIEVE…A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
- WE BELIEVE…and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on Earth. ‘And so shall we forever be with the Lord!’
Statement of Faith
We believe the Bible is God’s plan for every Christian to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This New Testament experience is evidenced first by speaking in tongues as the spirit gives utterance and then by the spiritual power to witness and to live the full, happy, and Godly life outlined in the Bible. We believe that God cares about all our problems, including physical ones, and that through Christ’s sacrifice, He provides healing in answer to believing prayer. We believe that, as a climax to God’s dealings with humanity, Jesus Christ is coming again for those who trust and serve him. (As found in “Who we are and what we believe” [Assemblies of God], Gospel Publishing House, Springfield, Missouri, 1978, p.18)